of the School
the French revolution the Holy Family Association founded by venerable
Pierre Bienvenu Noailles in 1820, spread rapidly in Europe. Before his
death at the request of Bishop E. Semeria our Founder had approved a
foundation in Sri Lanka. After his death on 8th February 1861, a band
of six valiant young women with passionate missionary zeal launched
out on a very tedious journey with Bishop E. Semeria to Sri Lanka. They
were the first women religious in our country and they arrived after
2 months of tedious sea voyage. On 2nd Nov. 1862 they arrived in Jaffna.
1845 : Schools for English education were started
by Bishop Bettachini for boys and girls in Jaffna respectively
1848 : The English school was shifted to in the premises
where the Rest House stands in 3rd cross street, Jaffna, under the supervision
of Mrs. Mary Anne O’Flanagan, wife of an Irish military officer.
1857 : Death of Bishop Bettachini.
1862 : The pioneer band of six Holy Family nuns from
France arrived in Jaffna on 2nd Nov. 1862.Mrs. Flanagan handed over
this school to the Holy Family Sisters, in Dec. 1862. Mother Helen Winter
became the first principal.
1863 : The boarding was started for the school children.
1864 : Foundation for Holy Family Convent was laid
by Bishop Semeria on May 24th 1864. Two teachers and students were affected
1868 : Death of Bishop Etienne Semeria was in Marseills,
1869 : Inauguration of the new Convent in Jaffna
in Nov. 1869.
1870 : Holy Family Convent School was moved to the
1891 : Mother Carmel Flanagan succeeded Mother Helen
Winter as principal until 1916.
1916 : Mother Sebastian O’ Brien was the Principal
1920 : Centenary of the Holy Family Foundation was
celebrated on 26th May at HFC Jaffna.
1922 : Two students from Holy Family Convent were
the only ones who passed the Matriculation in the North. In addition
to academic studies Home Science, Physical education and needle work
were also taught as well as Aesthetics like Art, Music, Singing and
1926 : Mother Loyola O’ Donoghue became principal
after Mother Sebastian.
1932 : A big two storey block with 12 spacious class
rooms and a stage became a reality. The school moved into the new premises.
Students were sent up for Junior and senior Cambridge examination and
the results were excellent.
1936 : The London Matriculation class was started
and pupils passed in the 1st division.
1937 : Mother Loyola retired and was replaced by Mother
Evangelist, a marvellous Latin teacher and a strict disciplinarian.
During her period the School progressed by leaps and bounds, and the
girls started to in her time the second two storey block was put up.
1951 : Mother Josephine Tynan succeeded Mother Evangelist
as principal. An excellent teacher in English, English Literature and
History she guided the school with wisdom and energy. The school was
upgraded and became one of the leading institutions in the Island. She
started the House System, Band Group and Old Girl Association.
1960 : Ceylon Government takes over the schools in
1970 : Mother Josephine gave our school anthem as
a farewell gift and Sr. Martina, the first native who succeeded as principal
was a gentle but a capable and efficient nun.
1973 : Our senior netball team became all Island champions.
1976 : Sr. Antony Joseph became principal after the
untimely death of Sr. Martina.
1977 : Due to the financial strain of running the
private school, the Management decided to hand over to the Government
and Holy Family Convent English School started to function as a Government
1979 : The junior netball team was the runners up in
1988 : Sr. Yolande Mathias took up the duties as Principal
of the school. Her period has been a period of turbulence due to the
ethnic war. The school had to be closed for several months in 1990,
1995& 2000 – due to the displacement of the population in
the Jaffna Peninsula. The school functioned temporarily at Manipay and
2002 : Amalgamation of the Tamil Convent Mahavidyalayam
with Holy Family Convent. The primary department functions on these
2004 : Sr.Thusnevis Ladislaus succeeded Sr.Yolande
Mathias as Principal.
2010 : During Sr. Thusnevis’s period, the school
was upgraded as a National School on 05.08.2010. A “school exchange”
programme gave a new opening to the school. We welcomed a group of senior
students of St. Francis de Sales English School New Delhi, India. The
students were accompanied by the Principal Rev. Fr. Milroy and a senior
member of his staff, Mrs. Monica Part of their programme was to gain
them an integrated knowledge of the Country. Its peoples their customs
and their cultures. In response to the Indian invitation some senior
students (A/L) accompanied by Sr. Thusnevis Ladislaus and a senior teacher,
Mrs. Jebaratnam went to New Delhi. The group was warmly welcomed by
Rev. Fr. Milroy his staff & students. They were greatly enriched
by this exchange programme. The exposure to the diversity and the unity
which is a special characteristic of this vast subcontinent impressed
them in a profound way.
2011 : Sr. Thusnevis Ladislaus retired 0n 01.02.2011
and Sr. Thayanayahi Sebamalai took over as Principal on 07.04.2011.
Gul;rpapd; gpd;dH 1820y; tzf;fj;Jf;Fupa gpaH gpad;ntD Nehtha; (Pierre
Bienvenu Noailles) ,dhy; ];jhgpf;fg;gl;l jpUf;FLk;g
fd;dpaHrig INuhg;gh KOtJk; mjpNtfkhfg; gutpaJ. ,tupd; ,wg;Gf;F Kd;dH
MaH rNkupahtpd; Ntz;LNfhSf;fpzq;f ,yq;ifapy; ,r; rigia ];jhgpg;gjw;F
vkJ ];jhgfH mDkjp mspj;jpUe;jhH. 1861 khrp 8k; jpfjp md;W mtUila ,wg;gpw;F
gpd;dH kpfj;Jzpr;rYila MW ,sk; ngz;fs; czHT G+Htkhf ,iwgzp nra;tjw;fhf
kpfTk; fisg;Gkpf;f gpuahzj;ij MaH RNkupahTld; cw;rhfkhf Nkw;nfhz;L ,yq;if
te;jdH. ,tHfNs vkJ ehl;bw;F te;j Kjy; kj rk;ge;jkhd ngz; JwtpahFk;.
,uz;L khj NrhHTw;w flw;gazj;jpd; gpd; 1862 fhHj;jpif 02y; ,tHfs; aho;g;ghzk;
1845 : Mz;fs; ngz;fs; Mq;fpyf; fy;tpf;fhd ghlrhiyfs;
aho;g;ghzj;jpy; MaH ngw;whf;fpdp (Bettachini)
1848 : Iup\; ,uhZt mjpfhupapd; kidtp jpUkjp. Nkup Md;
gpsdfd; (Mary Anne Flanagan) d; Nkw;ghHitapd;
fPo; Mq;fpyg; ghlrhiy 3k; FWf;Fj; njUtpypUe;j thb tPl;Lf;F khw;wg;gl;lJ.
1857 : MaH ngw;whf;fpdpapd; ,wg;G.
1862 : MW NgH nfhz;l jpUf;FLk;g fd;dpaH Muk;gf;FO gpuhd;rpypUe;J
1862 fhHj;jpif 02y; aho;g;ghzk; te;J NrHe;jdH. 1862 khHfop khjk; jpUkjp.
gpsdfd; ,g;ghlrhiyfisj; jpUf;FLk;g fd;dpauplk; ifaspj;jhH. jhahH n`yd;
tpd;uH (Mother Helen Winter) KjyhtJ mjpguhdhH.
1863 : ghlrhiy khztHfSf;fhd tpLjp Muk;gpf;fg;gl;lJ.
1864 : MaH RNkupahtpdhy; 1864 itfhrp 24y; jpUf;FLk;g
fd;dpaH klj;jpw;fhd mbf;fy; ehl;lg;gl;lJ. ,uz;L MrpupaHfSk; khztHfSk;
1868 : gpuhd;]; kjHnra;ypy; MaH RNkupahtpd; ,wg;G
1869 : Gjpa klj;jpw;fhd njhlf;fr; rlq;F 1869 fhHj;jpifapy;
aho;g;ghzj;jpy; ,lk; ngw;wJ.
1870 : jpUf;FLk;g fd;dpaHkl ghlrhiy Gjpa fl;blj;jpw;F
1891 : jhahH n`yd; tpd;uiu njhlHe;J jhahH fhky; gpsdfd;
mLj;j mjpguhf gjtpNaw;W 1916 tiu gjtp tfpj;jhH.
1916 : jhahh; nrg];tpad; gpiuad; mjpguhf gjtpNaw;W
1926 tiu flikahw;wpdhH.
1920 : jpUf;FLk;g ];jhgdj;jpd; Ehw;whz;L tpoh 1920
itfhrp 26y; aho;g;ghzj;jpy; nfhz;lhlg;gl;lJ.
1922 : yz;ld; mkw;wpFnyrd; guPl;irf;F Njhw;wpa khztHfSs;
tlf;fpy; jpUf;FLk;g fd;dpaHklj;ijr; NrHe;j ,U khztHfs; kl;Lk; rpj;jpaile;jdH.
,q;F jHf;f uPjpahd gbg;Gf;fSld; clw;fy;tp> ijay; ghlq;fSk; mofpaw;
fiyfshd rpj;jpuk;> ,ir> ghl;L> eldk; vd;gdTk; fw;gpf;fg;gl;lJ.
1926 : jhahH nrg];upaDf;F mLj;jjhf jhahH nyhayh nlhd%H
1932 : 12 tFg;giwfSld; NkilAk; NrHe;j ngupa ,uz;L khbf;
fl;blq;fs; cUthfpaJ. ghlrhiy Gjpa fl;blj;jpw;F khw;wg;gl;lJ. khztHfs;
fdp\;l> rpNu\;l Nfk;gpwpl;I; guPl;irfSf;F mDg;gg;gl;L mjp rpwe;j
1936 : yz;ld; nkw;wpFNyrd; tFg;Gfs; Muk;gpf;fg;gl;L
khztHfs; Kjyhk; gpuptpy; rpj;jpaile;jdh;.
1937 : jhahH nyhayh xa;T ngw mjprpwe;j ,yj;jPd; MrpupaUk;
fz;bg;ghd xOf;f eltbf;iffis epiyehl;LgtUkhd jhahH ,thQ;ryp];w; mjpguhdhH.
mtUila fhyj;jpy; ghlrhiyapd; Kd;Ndw;wk; Jupjkhf caHe;jJld; ,uz;lhtJ
,uz;L khbf; fl;blk; epHkhzpf;fg;gl;lJ.
1951 : jhahH ,thQ;ryp];Uf;F mLj;jjhf jhahH NahNrg;gpd;
iudhd; mjpguhdhH. ,tH Mq;fpyk;> Mq;fpy ,yf;fpak;> tuyhW vd;gtw;wpd;
mjprpwe;j MrpupaUkhthH. ,tH ghlrhiy khztHfSf;fpilapy ,y;yq;fs;> ,irthj;jpaf;
FO> gioa khztpfs; rq;fk; Mfpatw;iw Muk;gpj;jhH.
1970 : jhahH NahNrg;gpd; vkJ ghlrhiyf; fPjj;ij jdJ
gpupahtpilg; guprhfj; je;jhH. ,tUf;Fg; gpd; rhe;jkhd Mdhy; jpwikAilaJk;
rhkHj;jpaKilatUkhd mUl;rNfh. khl;Bdh KjyhtJ RNjr mjpguhdhH.
1973 : vkJ rpNu\;l tiyg;ge;jhl;lf; FO mfpy ,yq;if uPjpapy;
Kjyplj;ijg; ngw;Wf; nfhz;lJ.
1976 : mUl;rNfh. khl;Bdhtpd; fhyj;jpw;F Ke;jpa ,wg;gpdhy;
mUl;rNfh. md;udp Nahrg; mjpguhdhH.
1977 : vkJ ghlrhiyia jdpahH ghlrhiyahf elj;jpr; nry;tjw;fhd
epjp neUf;fbahy; vkJ epHthfk; ghlrhiyia murhq;fj;jplk; ifaspf;fj; jPHkhdpj;jikahy;
jpUf;FLk;g fd;dpaHkl Mq;fpy ghlrhiy mur ghlrhiyahfr; nraw;glj; njhlq;fpaJ.
1979 : vkJ ghlrhiyapd; fdp\;l tiyg;ge;jhl;lf; FO mfpy
,yq;ifapy; ,uz;lhk; ,lj;ijg; gpbj;jJ.
1988 : mUl;rNfh. Nahyz;l; kj;jpah]; ghlrhiy mjpguhfg;
flikfisg; nghWg;Ngw;whH. mtUila fhyg;gFjp ,df;fytuk; fhuzkhf ehl;by;
Fog;gkhd epiyapy; ,Ue;jJ. 1990> 1995> 2000 Mz;Lfspy; aho;.Flhehl;L
kf;fspd; ,lk;ngaHT fhuzkhf ghlrhiy gy khjq;fSf;F %lg;glNtz;bapUe;jJ.
,t;Ntisfspy; ghlrhiy jw;fhypfkhf kpURtpypYk; khdpg;ghapYk; elhj;jg;gl;lJ.
2002 : jpUf;FLk;g fd;dpaHklKk;> fd;dpaHklk; kfhtpj;jpahyaKk;
xd;wpizf;fg;gl;ld. Muk;g gpupT fd;dpaHkl kfhtpj;jpahyaj;jpy; eilngWfpwJ.
2004 : mUl;rNfh. Nahyz;l; kj;jpahrpd; gpd;dH mUl;rNfh.
Nkup j];netp]; yb];nyh]; mjpguhf flikNaw;whH.
2010 : mUl;rNfh. Nkup j];netp]; yb];nyh]; ,d; fhyj;jpy;
05.08.2010y; vkJ ghlrhiy Njrpa ghlrhiyahfj; juKaHj;jg;gl;lJ. “School
Exchange” epfo;thdJ ghlrhiyf;F xU Gjpa jpwTNfhyhf
,Ue;jJ. ,e;jpahtpd; GJ nly;ypapYs;s ghlrhiyahd St. Francis de
Sales English School y; ,Ue;J tUif je;jdH. gpd;
mtHfspd; miog;Gf;fpzq;f mjpgUk; MrpupaUk; khztHfSk; GJ by;yp nrd;wdH.
2011 : 01.02.2011y; mUl;rNfh. Nkup j];netp]; yb];yh];
Xa;T ngw mUl;rNfh. jahehafp nrgkhiy ghlrhiyapd; mjpguhfg; nghWg;Ngw;whH.
mtH ,d;W tiu gzpahw;wp tUfpd;whH.